Congratulations! You’re engaged! Now what are you going to do to plan your wedding?
When I got engaged to my husband David in 2000, I had no idea what I wanted my wedding to look like. All I knew for SURE was that we didn’t have a huge budget. I was freshly graduated from college, making next to nothing and David was still actively pursuing a career as a professional golfer. We were in the same spot as the majority of 25 year olds. We had a lot of relatives and friends from childhood, high school, college and even work-friends that I was going to have to invite my wedding. The number of invites (and the cost) began to add up very quickly! Does that sound familiar?
At some point during the planning stage, you might look at your fiancé and say, “Babe, why are we planning this ridiculous wedding for 300 people, most of whom are my parents friends and relatives that I have never met? How’s about we just run away to a killer beach in Mexico to get married?” Well, I’m here to tell you that you might be on to something special. An intimate destination wedding in Cabo San Lucas just might be the perfect idea.
Even if you have your wedding in your hometown, chances are most people are going to have to fly or drive a long distance, and stay in a hotel for your wedding. Why not have them travel to Cabo San Lucas instead of Anywhere, USA/Canada?
What would your Cabo wedding look like? Picture this: you and your fiancé are in a warm, beautiful setting, surrounded by friends and family toasting (think tequila) your love and commitment. The sounds of mariachi bands, and ocean waves blend together in the background, and a traditional Mexican meal is prepared in your honor. And best part is, that after the ceremony, you won’t have to leave this breathtaking locale, because you can have your honeymoon in Cabo as well!
I am a Cabo wedding photographer, so obviously I am biased, but please take a moment to read my top reasons to have a destination wedding in Cabo.
Top Reasons to have a Cabo Wedding
- Los Cabos, Mexico is a SAFE destination wedding location! I know you have heard all of the hype about how dangerous cities in Mexico like Tijuana and Juarez are, but Los Cabos is a world away from any of the drug violence. Baja California Sur is a wonderful and SAFE place to live and vacation in. As they say, if you are looking for trouble, trouble will find you. See my article Is it safe to have a wedding in Cabo?
- Cabo has a fantastic airport. SJD services over 10 US and Canadian cities with direct flights to and from Dallas, Denver, Houston, Atlanta, Los Angeles, San Jose, Phoenix, San Diego, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Calgary. For more information on SJD visit: The Baja Insider
- Amazing Cabo wedding coordinators and catering companies! I have the good fortune to work with the kindest, most high-energy people at my Los Cabos Weddings. You really get to know a person when you work in high stress situations like weddings and events! You know when people love their jobs and I am here to tell you that people working in the Cabo wedding industry freakin’ love their jobs or they do a great job faking it. I can’t list all the great Cabo Wedding coordinators and Cabo Caterers for fear of offending anyone new in town, but please don’t hesitate to contact me for recommendations and referrals. Mexico is an interesting place to do business. It really is one of those places where – who you know, not what you know really comes in to play. I can’t express how important it is to have a good contact here to help organize your wedding. If you aren’t having a hotel or resort wedding or working with a solid catering company, you definitely need to contact a Cabo wedding coordinator or a destination wedding coordinator in your area that specializes in Cabo Weddings. At the very least hire a Cabo wedding coordinator for “day of” wedding support. It will help the day run smoothly and allow you to relax and enjoy your big day.
- The weather! 364 days of sunshine means never having to worry about rain on your wedding day! Prior to moving to Cabo, I lived in Stowe, Vermont, which in located in Lamoile county, the cloudiest county in the United States. Honestly, look it up. Working as a wedding photographer in Cabo, means NEVER having to worry about rain on your wedding day! Cabo enjoys one of the best year round weather in the world with Lows averaging 65 and highs averaging 85. Just try not to schedule your wedding in August and September, the hottest months of the year
- The Beauty of Cabo Wedding Package Deals and all inclusives– Los Cabos resorts offer wedding packages to keep a destination wedding stress-free and simple. Some offer the complimentary services of their on-site wedding consultant to help coordinate the essentials, like your marriage license and an officiant. All you have to do is show up. Your travel agent can sometimes expand these package deals to include fun activities for you and your special guests. There are some awesome activities in Cabo including swimming with the dolphins, deep sea fishing, whale watching, snorkeling and hiking. Check out Cabo Adventures for more information.
- By having a wedding in Cabo, you can avoid the awkward Invites! Because destination weddings are generally intimate affairs attended by only your closest friends and dearest family members, you can avoid being forced into inviting acquaintances and long lost relatives. You get to choose the level of intimacy you want for the ceremony and invite accordingly, or you can invite no one at all for a very romantic trip down the aisle. There are options for all types of weddings in Los Cabos - from intimate weddings on Pedregal Beach to buy-out weddings at Las Ventanas or Capella Pedregal.
- You get to bring your friends and family to CABO! – You are going to be ascended to hero status in no-time flat! Los Cabos weddings are perfect for couples with families and friends scattered around the country or even the world. If a good majority of your guests would have to travel to your hometown anyway, then inviting them to a wedding in a Cabo is even BETTER! Your guests will LOVE you for it. I promise!
- And the final reason…Amy Bennett Photography! You didn’t think I would leave myself off the list, did you? You can have your Cabo wedding photographed by ME! How awesome is that?
Good Luck with your wedding! Let me know how I can help you plan your wedding in Cabo!